Wednesday, May 16, 2007

First Few Weeks

Okay, yes its true, I have been delinquent here since my arrival in London. However, this has not been due to any slacker qualities that I may have but solely due to the fact that I have not yet had an internet connection at my home. And no television either! Scary dark world that I am living in.

London has been pretty amazing so far. So good to have my old friend Stuart back in my life (have already spent far too many nights sleeping on his sofa after finding myself to inebriated to get back home. Work is interesting and intense but all in all just like working anywhere else. Although having a gym and a pool at the office is a nice perk.

Found a place to live in Hampstead. While it is more than I wanted to spend, I had a terrible time finding anywhere that would let me have dogs. Speaking of dogs, I do so terribly miss my two puppies! It sucks. I often find them terribly annoying but I do so love them.

But of course, I miss Bud most of all. It has now been over a month since I last saw him and less than 6 weeks to go before he is here. I can hardly wait. Being apart is truly horrific. I sleep terribly and rarely want to do much without him. Love fool that I am - its nice that I still feel this way after almost five years.

Went off to Prague last weekend with work. Had a great time - it’s a really beautiful city. The men, as I said to Bud, were all these sexy east-European looking guys (to which bud, rather wisely, stated, that's a bit redundant, of course they look east-European). The people were all very friendly and I hope to make it back again soon.

A friend working in Afghanistan arrives in town on Friday for a bit of relaxation. Apparently we'll be having an afternoon of champagne and cheese. La vie francaise à Londres.

One thing that I find very strange here is how so many people at work don't say hello to each other. you walk past one another and not a word is said - then when I say hello a look of panicked shock washes over their faces. Bizarre - or maybe just British

5 Comments:

Blogger Tales of the City said...

Haha - so you noticed our natural frigidity when it comes to hellos.. The other half has come back from a work trip to North America and he was saying how friendly everyone is.. and while it maybe superficial its still makes you feel human and good about life that people take time to say a simple "hello".
Glad you are starting to enjoy the City. Drop me a line if you need any other tips/help (that said you seem to be doing fine) - email is
cool_grove@yahoo.co.uk

5:55 a.m.  
Blogger Snoskred said...

Hey, nice to see you posting again. :) Good to hear the move went well and you'll soon be reunited with your love. :)

6:51 a.m.  
Blogger Guy In London said...

Rye - unfriendly Londoners - tell me about it! I work in London and live 200+ miles North on a weekend. Each Monday & Friday I transition from talking to neighbours/strangers to avoiding eye contact!

A South African girlfriend who started working in London a couple of years ago still can't get over how "unfriendly" people are.

Keep saying hello to your workmates - they'll get used to it.

GIL

4:57 p.m.  
Blogger Sir Wobin said...

Keep being cheerful and friendly and remember that you have the perfect excuse to escape charity muggers with: "I'm sorry. I don't live here."

With your accent, you'll get away with it.

Welcome. :-)
-RGL

4:23 p.m.  
Blogger Rick Rockhill said...

Melt them with your charm and personal nature. I have several brit friends who are great once you get them out to the pub, but at work its all biz.

12:44 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hit Counter
Online Degrees