Wednesday, November 22, 2006

The Vote

“A citizen of America will cross the ocean to fight for democracy, but won't cross the street to vote in a national election.” - Bill Vaughan

This quote sums up a pressing argument that Bud and I have been having lately. You see, in Australia, people MUST vote. If you don’t vote, you are fined. Of course, you have register the first time, but every single election, local – state – federal, thereafter, if you don’t vote, a ticket comes in the mail.

Here in Canada, as I the US, you vote if you want to.

Now I have not always voted. City elections almost never get me out, and often for provincial or federal elections, it really depends on where I am living. At present I live in a riding that is soundly represented by the leader of the Quebec separatist party. My vote won’t change it.

Now, this doesn’t mean that I won’t vote, but I can be a bit lazy about it.

And I argue with Bud over being forced to vote. If I don’t want to vote, I shouldn’t have to.

Now Bud does not counter with the argument that it is our duty to vote or anything like that, but he makes the worthwhile point that if everyone is forced to vote then you can actually say that the results truly indicate what the “people” want or believe. If you have an election where less than 50% of the population vote, any majority in the results will not be a majority in reality.

And he makes a good point. But I am nonetheless conflicted between my freedom to not do something if I choose and the ability to truly have a mandated government.

1 Comments:

Blogger nash said...

Hopefully, compulsory voting actually encourages people to become political, rather than just remaining apathetic. If you HAVE to vote, you're more inclined to think about who you're voting for

9:01 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hit Counter
Online Degrees