Tuesday, August 22, 2006

"Bigamy is having one wife too many. Monogamy is the same." - Oscar Wilde

I wish to start out today thanking everyone for sharing their advice, stories and comments to my last post on this site and via email. You have given me no small amount of both comfort over these past very difficult days. I was not surprised by the majority of the responses to my previous post being generally sadness, anger, frustration and a general desire that I end my marriage. I have not really written a post before responding to what people have written back, but I think the time has come.

And I realize that many of you may not understand why it is that I am even having this dilemma. The answer seems so clear to many of you. I feel personally that in this situation I either lose the person that is the most important person that I have and have had in my life or I lose my own self dignity and self worth. This is hardly a wonderful or even remotely easy choice to make. But unfortunately, as with so much else in life I have found, dichotomies don’t really exist as clearly as we thought as kids.

I strive to be as honest as I am able to be in this blog. Part of this exercise for me is to explore my life and what is going on. And it serves no purpose to try to embellish it. But a first-person narrative will always be clouded by the perspective of the writer. And as with any story, there are things that have gone on before the first chapter presented that colours every characters actions without the reader every really becoming privy to that “backstory”.

I remember an episode of “Sex and the City” (shocking, a gay man quoting that show!) where Carrie said to Miranda, “No one else will ever know what happened in your relationship but the two of you.” And the truth is that no relationship of one month let alone four years can be distilled neatly into the confines of one post (or for the habitual reader, this entire blog). Epic novels have been written on the relationship between two people in love and even then, the full story is never told. Taken on its own, in my post, there is the paradigmatic villain and victim. But no matter how much I can reduce what has been transpiring in my relationship to a post on this blog, it cannot possibly tell the entire tale anymore than this entire blog can give you a complete picture of who I am as a person.

I can hardly claim to have been the innocent at every point in this relationship. I have been the villain and Bud the victim. I have done things that Bud could have justifiable left me for. I have not been the perfect mate either.

And for me, breaking up is the easy solution to our problems. Easy in that it will require none of the difficult work in growing together out of these situations. It is the staying together in the hope that we can work this out, that we can both grow up in the ways that each of needs to, that each of us can come closer and closer to “we”. As Joan Baez once said, The easiest kind of relationship is with ten thousand people, the hardest is with one."

Will we be able to save our lives together? Will I be able to save myself at the same time? I don’t know. And maybe my story will follow the same path that many of you who have commented went down. I hope not. It might last another day. It might last another year. I cannot say.

I might not be strong enough to stay in this relationship.

I might not be strong enough to end it.

But all of your kind thoughts and kind words have given me the firm knowledge that if my marriage crumbles (or is already in ruins and I am but a crazed fiddler ignoring it burn), there is still life and love in my future.

Thanks again.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good show Rye!

I guess your few last lines say it all! Working a relationship is tough but rewarding.

As long as you remember that your first priority is yourself and, in order to build a relationship, both parties have to work in the same direction; you are well set to face up the situation.

Good luck!

7:17 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well stated, Rye. This is your narrative, your place to vent and ponder...without us listening to Bud's point of view. Only you know if Bud's actions are acceptable, detrimental, and/or changeable.

It is clear, from this biased reader at least, that you very much love him, and are taking the marriage vows seriously. Just please remember, love is an ACTION, not just a word.

Honesty breeds trust and love. Be honest and transparent in your pain and concerns with him, and go from there....Good luck and we'll be here when you want an anonymous ear to listen.

9:37 p.m.  
Blogger nash said...

After reading 'The Test' I decided against leaving a comment, not because I don't care (I certainly empathise with you on many counts), but because I knew that your situation is something only you can truly deal with. We all have our own personal thresholds and the way we handle things is unique to us. You're on the right path. And it's ok to quote Sex and the City because you balanced it with Joan Baez

Cheers

6:19 a.m.  
Blogger dantallion said...

I honestly wish you all the best with what's to come. Regardless of what path you choose, or the outcome, I hope you're able to find the happiness you deserve.

3:14 p.m.  
Blogger Sue said...

I know that you are strong and committed enough to sort this out on your own and I wish you luck. There is nothing tougher. Each situation is unique. Best of luck!

4:46 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great posting. Truly, I can empathize. I've been there...making the decision to end a 17-year relationship. The hardest thing ever. But you sound like you've got your head screwed on straight. Place faith that you will find the right answers.

12:01 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Such pains we endure for so long out of fear of finality....

12:54 a.m.  
Blogger Tales of the City said...

Hey ..returned to your blog after a while.. very sad to read all of this. Just believe in yourself..looks like Bud wants to break free but does not have the courage to do so as you are his rock. Sometimes its best to take a break... and if its meant to be then well it will work out... X

5:33 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hit Counter
Online Degrees