Thursday, June 29, 2006

Word Play

I have been giving a bit of thought lately to the concept of Gay Pride. To me, there has always been a dichotomy to the idea of Pride that I have a hard time reconciling. I understand that when Pride first began, the world for us gay people was a vastly different one. To assert being proud of a quality that many people considered (and let’s face it, still consider) to be a degenerate flaw was a politically motivated statement. Being proud of being gay was a method of accepting it in yourself and demonstrating to the outside world that it was nothing to be ashamed of.

But the problem with expressing it in terms of pride reinforces the “otherness” quality of it. It states that there is something special, something different about it, that makes it worthy of that emotion. And that is where my difficulties arise. If I believe, as I do, that being gay is a natural and normal thing, why should I have pride in a natural thing. Should I be proud to be tall, a brunette, etc.?

And there is always the strange concept of pride as being one of the seven deadly sins. To be proud is considered to be a character flaw. Pride cometh before the fall and all of that.

But perhaps this is all just a semantic game. And to be honest, there is very little about modern-day Gay Pride that resembles the early days. Pride has been taken over by the corporation, like almost everything else. It is a bottled and manufactured profit-making enterprise. Sure, it is still a celebration where homosexual people can come together and cheer the fact that they all share a similar trait, but it has become a large advertisement for beer, a party, a protein bar and even our dear deluded Macy’s.

But this is just a fact of the modern world at the moment and one that we just have to accept I guess. Not much that I can personally do to change to corporation-culture that is North America.

And this year we have the Outgames in Montreal at the same time as Pride. The thing that I have always wondered is if either the Outgames or Pride makes a profit, exactly where does this profit go? Who benefits financially in our community over the success of these events. For example, with the Outgames, there is a lot of work being undertaken to have people in Montreal promote this event to others. Of course, we will all have a great time, I’m just curious who will be getting the big cash gift at the end of it.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Any profit will go to GLISA.
Mark Tewksbury's speech "The Legacy of the 1st World Outgames" is available at:
http://www.glisa.org/Outgames/

8:39 a.m.  
Blogger savante said...

What you said actually makes sense :)

Paul

4:28 a.m.  
Blogger Marc said...

I think you're right that pride does acknowledge the differences in individuals and people. We live in a society that encourages people to abandon their individuality in favor of some artificial "norm." We're bombarded with these messages every day, from media images of beauty to religious ideals of what we should think, believe and do. The drum beat of conformity pounds away endlessly.

I've come to view true "pride" as something incredibly valuable. In my experience, accepting myself as gay and coming out of the closet was one of the biggest ways I've chosen to reject expectations and norms and follow my heart. Yes, that sets me apart in the same way that it sets apart anyone who chooses to embrace themselves rather than try to conform to someone else's expectations. Whether its being gay or whatever else that makes us individuals, our unique perspectives are fundamental things and are worthy of celebration.

There have been many who have asked whether "Gay Pride" has outlived its usefulness. Oddly, that so many are asking the question is a sign of how far we've come and at the same time, that the question needs to be asked is a sign of how far we have yet to go.

7:15 p.m.  
Blogger tornwordo said...

That's a good question about where the money ends up.

I object to the word pride on many levels. The "pride" celebration is more about feeling free and hooking up these days.

9:11 a.m.  
Blogger jjd said...

I agree totally.

By your logic though, what's the point of "black history month" or "teacher appreciation day". Aren't these the same prideful celebrations that seemingly afflict the gays?

In my opinion, there should probably be a day of celebration for many different groups that together form a civil society.

no?

7:09 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hit Counter
Online Degrees