Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Shave and a Haircut, Two Bits


It has been awhile since I talked about India. I had originally planned on writing about my time there with more frequency, but the workdays have been busy.

On my second day there, I partook in one of life’s truly great pleasures. A shave from a barber. I got a shave almost every day from a barber in India and it was an utter pleasure. It began with having a warm towel wrapped around the face to moisten up the beard. After a few minutes of relaxing, the towel is removed, a hot lather of shaving cream is generously applied all over the face.

After a few minutes to soak it in, the barber takes out his straight razor and proceeds to manipulate all the skin on my face, stretching it this way and that, to give a very close shave.

After all the hairs are gone, an after shave lotion is applied and then my face is rubbed with a type of stone that seems to stop all razor burn.

And then the good stuff starts, the head massage. Always amazing and always ending with the strangest element – the popping of the ears. The barber leans into my body, applies pressure to the side of my head and then pulls out my ears until they crack. Totally bizarre but definitely pleasant.

And all this for about 10 cents.

Gotta love it. Of course, one of the true pleasures about living in India was my ability to completely remove myself from certain shallow aspects of my character. My public appearance did not matter to me as much and I let my hair grow. Both sun and sea bleached, I ended up with a big curly (gets curly when long I discovered) mop of hair on the top of my head. And everytime I would go for a shave, the barber would always ask if I wanted a haircut. When I replied with a no, they would always respond with, “Oh, you NEED a haircut!”

4 Comments:

Blogger tornwordo said...

Sounds wonderful. The barber I have finishes by using a straight blade to shave the back of the neck and the sideburns. I love the warm foam he puts on and then my skin gets all tingly as he shaves. I can't imagine the delight in having the whole thing done by someone every day.

6:28 p.m.  
Blogger Sue said...

I was so hoping you would talk more about India. It is so much work to write posts about travel, but we, your readers really appreciate it. Ah, the luxury of being in a country where little things can be done for almost no cost at all. I had a silk jacket tailored for me in Singapore for a really great price. I miss travelling.

4:57 p.m.  
Blogger Blake said...

Dude,

I think a shave a haircut was always like SIX bits, but I may be mistaken.

5:50 p.m.  
Blogger Blake said...

Okay, it's me like 15 seconds later. I just googled it and you were right. My sources suck.

5:53 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hit Counter
Online Degrees