Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Nursing a Bitch Session

We got some shitty news today regarding bud and his ability to work as a nurse here in Canada. Bud immigrated over a year ago and is a registered nurse in Australia. In order to work as a nurse here in Quebec, the nurses’ union has made it as difficult as humanly possibly even though there is a drastic shortage in this province. He had to submit his transcripts and work experience to the nursing board who would then assess whether an Australian degree was sufficient to work here or whether he would need to take extra training. Regardless he would still have to write a nursing exam and pass a French exam.

It was over one year ago that Bud submitted his application to the board. One year of them telling us each and every month that they would be deciding soon and that hopefully he wouldn’t have to take anything more.

Well, we finally got our response. The union has decided that Australian qualifications are not good enough. One point was understandable. In Australia, midwives deal with deliveries so Bud did not take any course on prenatal care. So they need him to take a course then because, of course, what he didn’t study, he may have to deal with. Heaven forbid, that they just restrict his practice so that he cannot work in those areas.

But they are also requiring that he take a integration program. The integration program can either be done through a work experience of 30 days or through a six month full-time classroom course with a further clinical setting afterwards. And of course, they are requiring him to take the classroom one. And to add insult to injury, there is only one English version of that course about one hour from downtown Montreal. So Bud will take it in French (which will be great for his French but will undoubtedly be very difficult).

But for Christ’s sake, with the waiting until he can take the course and the length of the course, it will be a year until he can actually start. And I am not surprised whatsoever. While taking French courses Bud was always meeting doctors who could not work here without a further SEVEN years of study (I shit you not) so I guess I shouldn’t bitch about one more year. But come on, if a nurse from Australia isn’t good enough to work here, who the hell is? Its not like he has a degree from the University of (insert your own country here – don’t feel like pissing off a nation myself)! I am just incredibly frustrated by this turn of events and I know that there is nothing I can do.

I mean the poor guy studied like hell to become a nurse and as anyone who has ever finished school the last thing you want to do is go back. And for purely selfish reasons, I would love it if I were not the only one working.

11 Comments:

Blogger jerry_mumbai said...

hey....it's just a year....before you know it will be gone.....but just imagine how international doctors feel...when they have to spend many years and at the end of it they are still treated as if they are ignorant!!!

2:34 p.m.  
Blogger Sue said...

It could be worse. You could have moved to say, France, where while you were a sponored ex-pat he could have been told that the unemployment rate for nationals was so high that he could not work at all. That is what almost happened to my husband when we almost moved to Paris once. We decided not to move since it would mean a total loss of his income as an architect. So, a year is not that long. C'est la vie.

4:47 p.m.  
Blogger nash said...

I can understand your frustration, but both you n Bud have to see a way to turn this into an opportunity. Give it time and it will become clearer. Maybe there's an alternative path... Keep us up to date with any developments

8:38 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hear your story! I too am in Montreal, and moved here from Toronto to do my doctorate in nursing at McGill. I've been a nurse for decades, literally, with 2 Masters [health-related, tho not in nursing]... and I speak French (am originally from the States, tho am now a Canadian). This same Board has been making me go thru hoops that are absolutely rediculous and uncalled for -- if not unprofessional. And I have a valid nursing license in 2 Canadian Provinces! I wish I could tell you to take heart -- but the optics and gymnastics of the Quebec Board are uncalled for.

10:27 a.m.  
Blogger tornwordo said...

The same crazy rules apply to teachers. I guess the French feel that they are far and above everyone else, no matter what country. My degree from California means dink here.

3:04 p.m.  
Blogger Johnny said...

Australian has one of the best health systems in the world. canada needs to stop being so parochial, and thus, so STOOPID!

6:26 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey emach, please note: for reasons peculiar to Canada, the Province of Quebec has its own set of rules and its own mindset. There are many times when Quebec is NOT on the same page as the rest of Canada! I have an RN license in 2 Canadian provinces, and Quebec is still not granting me reciprocity. I have hoops to jump thru that you would not believe -- and I even speak French! Quebec has many positive things going for it, but the inefficiency of its bureaucracy is notorious throughout Canada. The problems Bud and I are having are only a couple of examples. Hell: I even have 2 Masters degrees in health related fields, and am STILL getting grief from the nursing board! And my hat's off to Australia: Yes you DO have an outstanding health system -- and some DAMN good nurses, docs and programs!

4:14 p.m.  
Blogger Josh said...

"the Province of Quebec has its own set of rules and its own mindset"

oh does it ever!

3:42 a.m.  
Blogger savante said...

Every country has its restrictions - especially when it comes to the medical line. Guess the bureaucracy just enjoys watching doctors and nurses jump through hoops for a job.

Paul

11:58 p.m.  
Blogger Snooze said...

That's just crazy. I'm sorry the two of you have to go through that. [I came here via Dantallion's blog]

6:06 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I came to Montreal January of 2006. I have been a registered nurse in the U.S. for 10 years, working specifically in ER and Trauma. I understand and feel your frustrations more than you know. I, too, moved to Montreal to be with my partner, who is a proff. at UQAM. I waited for 4 months for the OIIQ to decide whether or not my education was satisfactory. Given the ok, I had to then register to take the exam...and what an exam it is! It is a 2 day exam, and I just finished day one today...which consisted of 16 hands-on practical stations where you interact with an actor who is pretending to be a pt. and an observer who is grading you. You have 10 minutes for each station. It was a nightmare..humbling..and humiliating. I have always been very proud of my nursing skills and knowledge, and have done very well in the ER. This was something else. Monday I have the written portion---two booklets with 50 short answer questions in each booklet to answer. It just keeps getting better...not to mention the French exam. It is a lot, and I've shed my share of tears, and I've wondered if it is all worth it. For them to be in such desperate need for good help, you would think they would rethink their testing strategy so it would be more appealing to nurses thinking about coming in to Quebec to practice. I don't know...it's a long, hard road, and patience..trust me...is essential. I wish the best of luck for you both...we could really need his skills and knowledge here!
ss

11:14 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hit Counter
Online Degrees