Thursday, June 08, 2006

No More Macys



I wish to thank Joey Destino for alerting me to the Macy's situation in Boston - story here

I encourage you to write to them as well. I have with the following letter:

"It was with a profound sense of disappointment and anger that I heard today about a deplorable incident occurring at Boston Macy's concerning a window display regarding Boston Pride. Apparently after complaints about this window display, a portion of that display was removed. Upon finding both the before and after pictures posted on the internet, I became even more disappointed with Macy's. Two male mannequins, standing apart from one another, were removed from the display.

I personally find this to be an incredibly distasteful action. The fact that you would lend credence to the belief that two men standing beside one another is in anyway obscene is not even the worst of it. What is truly horrendous about your actions is that you would stoop so low as to take away the "gay people" out of your display, but continue to leave the remainder of the Pride display in place. Hide the homosexuals, but try to exploit Gay Pride. The hypocrisy is flagrantly evident.

I cannot believe the gall that you have in continuing to use Gay Pride display, acting as if you had anything to do with any of the reasons behind such an event, after shoving the mannequins back into their closets.

I, like many other gay people, have enjoyed shopping at both Macy's and other fine Federated FDS stores – in the past. I, like your mannequins, will choose to remove myself from your stores and provide my hard earned money to somewhere else.

In the meantime, I hope that you will remove the display in its entirety. Your version of Pride is one thing I definitely find offensive."

5 Comments:

Blogger dirk.mancuso said...

Just ridiculous.

I'm sure that some "concerned individual" felt the image might be burned into the mind of an unsuspecting child walking past and lead them down the road to homosexuality.

Or it might encourage two straight men to play for the home team and run off to get married and threaten the so-called sanctity of marriage.

Whatever the reason, it was cowardly in my opinion and I will also take my business elsewhere.

Thanks to you and Joey Destino for bringing this to the attention of others.

5:41 p.m.  
Blogger Jacob said...

Stick it to the mannequin.

8:02 p.m.  
Blogger buff said...

Macy's has really put its foot into its corporate mouth. I guess since they will now be in 49 states, they want to be the department store of all the people.
Without gay men, the store is doomed for failure. A sad day in the history of Macy's.

10:02 a.m.  
Blogger Stephen Pendred said...

Why do I get the horrible feeling corporate politics are involved somewhere in this, it'll probably turn out to be a shareholder complaining that 'images like these are grooming our children into becoming homosexual' or some other rediculous view

ah well

7:36 p.m.  
Blogger nash said...

I'm glad you took the time to write them a letter. Those mannequins should be reinstated, naked and flagrantly positioned

8:46 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hit Counter
Online Degrees