Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Serendipitous

Woke up this morning to discover that my predictions of a spring were a little premature as a fresh blanket of snow covered the backyard. But it didn’t worry me. The one thing about March is that no matter what the weather may throw at you, you know that Spring is just around the corner.

Recently I have been thinking once again along the lines of old friends from days gone past ever since I wrote about my reunion. Its so strange how someone can be an intricate part of my life at one moment and suddenly a non-existent remnant of days gone by the next. Of course this will undoubtedly happen when people’s lives take divergent paths, whether geographically, emotionally, professionally or otherwise. But what this serves to highlight for me is the incredible strengths of those that survive all of that.

There are a number of people that I have known for more than a decade who I am forever bound by something greater than the bond between us. These are the people who no matter how much time may pass, once we are in a room together or on the phone, it seems as if we have not been separated at all. I have been lucky to have found these people in my life and I cherish these relationships above all.

But why is it that for some, once you are no longer there to watch the progressive changes in their lives and they in mine, slowly drift off into memory, while others remain a permanent fixture in this path I am on? It is a mystery to me. Sometimes I get together with people who I once knew intimately only to find that spark of recognition missing and all that is left is nostalgia. Why does this happen? I can’t really see any common link among the people who I still share that bond with nor among those who I do not.

The only interesting thing is that for all of my closest longest held friends I have absolutely no idea why we became so close and dear to one another. I cannot pinpoint a time or an event where they passed from acquaintance to friend to something more. I have hung out with many people, but why were these so special to me.

Yet further proof that while I think I may understand myself fairly well (warts, and there are many, and all) I really have no clue.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wierd thing about that - I don't remember how I became best friends with mine either

2:04 p.m.  
Blogger Fauxmosexual said...

Hey I check your diary for updates all the time and have read all the archives...just thought id let you know how much i like it.

12:55 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hit Counter
Online Degrees