Monday, March 06, 2006

Mother Fuckers!

Mother Fuckers!

I was sitting watching the Oscars last night and just before they announced the best picture, I got filled with a sense of pride. I was overwhelmed by the fact that a gay love story was about to win as best picture of the year. It was to be a watershed moment. And just before the announcement came I thought to myself, “they’re not going to do it.”

Bud had been saying it all night. He didn’t think they would. I didn’t agree. How could anyone not honour a film that basically won every other best picture award this year. No film that ever won the producer's guild, the director's guild and writer's guild awards in one year did not go on to win the best picture at the Oscars. It would just reek of homophobia. Crash wasnt even nominated for a Golden Globes for Chirst's sake. But Bud was right. And I was sickened by it.

Its sad that I have to turn to the Golden Globes for awards that accurately reflect the best. I was once enchanted by this award show, but it has definitely lost all relevance for me. And luckily I know where my anger should go. The people in this industry vote for these and so it is these people that I will punish. You want to treat me like a second-class citizen; you’ll get no respect from me. Piracy of movies makes all people who work in the movies lose money does it –I’ll never speak out about it. Box office is down this year – just wait until next. I won’t stop going (I’m not that idealistic) but I think that the best thing to do is never see a Hollywood film on opening weekend. “See it Second” I say. Make them wait. Buy a DVD? – I’ll put my money elsewhere.

A vote for Crash was not a vote for it to win, but a vote for Brokeback to lose. No other explanation possible no matter how hard someone may try. And it is a win saturated by irony.

It was ironic that George Cloney can talk about how it is good to be “out-of-touch” in respect of the Academy’s treatment of black people before this same group of people slaps in the face of all gay people out there.

It was ironic that Robert Altman was honoured for his work that never won the best picture award when a sub-standard Altman rip-off like Crash does win.
But it is the height of irony that in honouring a film about intolerance, this group of low-lifes can display the greatest level of intolerance possible.

8 Comments:

Blogger Poz Mikey said...

George did mention HIV in his speech. I also wrote a posting about Brokeback losing to "CRASH." I just wanted to know if you herd Cathy mentioning that she wanted to thank her husband and wife when she accept the Oscar for best picture? It was right at the end during the"Overture" M

3:43 p.m.  
Blogger yani said...

You want to know what annoys me even more than Brokeback losing out to Crash (which, I agree doesn't make a damn bit of sense)... the fact that they DID give an Oscar to Hoffman for his portrayal of such an over the top effeminate character like Capote... I'm sure it was accurate and all, but he was essentially playing stereotype gay, and he got an Oscar for it... while Heath and Jake, who played "gay" characters who were just "regular" folk, got snubbed...

Stoopid Academy...

7:03 p.m.  
Blogger Sam said...

Perfectly put Rye, I couldn't agree more. Also thought it was rude - and indicative of similar homo/queerphobia - that Witherspoon won over Huffman.

8:15 p.m.  
Blogger tornwordo said...

Well I can't agree with you since I HATED BBM and I loved Crash.

I'm not into movies where the characters deepest expressions are *glances* and *mumbling*. Crash, on the other hand, really made me think for weeks.

Respect your opinion though! You go!

6:18 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so there with you Got Gay!

4:27 p.m.  
Blogger mindlessmunkey said...

Yaniboy, I have to say your comment made me a little angry. Have you seen Capote? PSH's performance is mesmerising and far more than simply a "stereotypical" gay cliché.

You seem to imply that portraying a "regular person" (a dangerous term to begin with) who is gay, is more difficult or more worthy of reward than playing an effeminate homosexual. Maybe you should think about the implications of that. Are you saying that certain "types" of gay people are more valid than others?

3:06 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is the Fanny Bandit.
This site's been anally blazed.
TAKE IT!!

Sincerely,
The Bandit


P.S.
Call Me
(717)258-6048

12:31 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Crash was a pretty good movie and acceptance is acceptance...Racial acceptance and homesexual acceptance goes hand in hand as far as I'm concerned because the struggles of both are very much a like. Have an open mind relax hell it's just an Oscar.

9:04 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hit Counter
Online Degrees