Friday, February 17, 2006

Hidden in Plain Sight

I find it an interesting piece of human behaviour that we are able to ignore certain pervasive and blatantly obvious elements in our lives – but once they are pointed out, we are help but notice them. This has happened to me frequently and in numerous ways. When I learn the meaning of a new word (and yes, that still happens at my advanced age), I suddenly see it being used everywhere. When someone once remarked on the shape of my hands, from that moment on I always thought of that comment.





Perhaps the most evident example of this comes from a symbol that most of us will see everyday – a corporate logo. Now, I warn you, that once I reveal this secret, you will never be able to look at this the same way. So if you want the mystery to remain, stop reading now.

Above is the logo for FedEx. A simple logo at first glance, but a brilliantly designed one when you see its secret. Its secret is one of movement, of progression, of action – all the things you look for in a courier. It is one of the oldest symbols denoting direction in the world that I use everyday.

Can you see it? A hint – its an arrow.













Well, now you can see it in all of its brilliance. And from this moment on, whenever you see a FedEx truck going by, all you’ll ever see is that arrow.



5 Comments:

Blogger Dave said...

How funny you mention your hands. A friend once told me my fingenails looked like little smiley faces and I can't help but think of a smile when I look at them.

Have you seen the man with his penis exposed on a pack of Camel cigarettes?

11:28 a.m.  
Blogger Naked Boy said...

Wow. I love that arrow thing.

1:33 p.m.  
Blogger Rye said...

No I haven't seen the camel one - do you have a ilnk to a pic of it?

2:06 p.m.  
Blogger savante said...

Darlin rye, how long have you been staring at that FEDEX logo! :) Didn't even notice it myself!

Paul

3:23 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And all I ever wondered is why their logo is redundant:
FedEx= Federal Express
FedEx Express = Federal Express Express.
It's like ATM Machine or PIN Number.

But I like the arrow. :o)

5:24 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hit Counter
Online Degrees