Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Outgames



I had someone ask me what it was like to be an out lawyer the other day and it got me thinking. Everyone has their own coming out story and the one thing that I hadn’t realized those many years ago was that I would have to continually come out for the rest of my life.

Now, I also don’t necessarily want to be known as “the gay guy” here at work either (luckily I am not the only one), but I understood a long time ago that what is commonplace becomes acceptable. And for that reason, I always let people know that I am gay through casually dropping sentences that can leave no doubt like “My boyfriend and I…”



The road is not always the easiest one. I don’t get work from certain senior lawyers any longer once they found out. I don’t get invited out to the strippers with the younger ones. But at least there is no element of worry about what would happen if everyone knew. Thank God. I don’t need to deal with that! Work is stressful enough.

I was dating a lawyer a number of years ago and he would never kiss me if we were anywhere near his work. He was out but was afraid nonetheless. Of course, living in the decidedly easygoing French culture of Montreal helps too. This is a place where a gay (self-confessed) cocaine sniffing guy is the leader of one of the major political parties of the province! Ah, la belle province!



And finally a big thanks to the voters and the people at Best Gay Blogs for the encouragement!

1 Comments:

Blogger jjd said...

congrats on the best gay blog award btw, certainly deserving.

Have you ever read the best little boy in the world? and the subsequent: the best little boy grows up (by anthony? tobias)

He follows the same methodology: that is, he casually injects "my boyfriend and I.." into appropriate conversations as his way of normalizing gayness for the rest of the world. I see you are doing the same and I think thats awesome.

10:15 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hit Counter
Online Degrees