Thursday, January 26, 2006

Fruits in Suits



So I went to a cocktail party last night. It was for the Gay Chamber of Commerce in Montreal and was held at the investment branch of a national bank. It was announced that the Chamber and TD Waterhouse were entering into a three year partnership. Great news.

The party was pretty decent as well. Wine and food always helps, but I wasn’t in the greatest of socializing moods. Hung out with the bartender for awhile. All of the food was on sticks and I couldn’t (à la Curb Your Enthusiasm) find anywhere to put it after I finished. Darren, the bartender, suggested that they needed a sign saying “Put Sticks Here”. I thought that might not be the wisest saying at a gay event.

Ran into a guy that I see almost every morning at the gym. Needless to say, at 6 a.m. I am not the most chatty person, and after a couple of years of seeing each other, we finally spoke. He is a vice over actor where he does the dubbed French voices for Hollywood films. First time that I had met an actor like that.

When I got home, Bud asked, “Were you drinking red wine?” The stains gave it away. “I thought you were at a meeting for work.” I explained that it was a cocktail party but that it was work related. It is a networking opportunity that has more to do with business than socializing. But he was a bit upset over the fact that I had not included him. But hell, we can’t do everything together.

But Bud has always had a problem with me having friends that he doesn’t know. He went into a fit last year when I suggested that I was going to join the waterpolo team while he was in Australia. I wanted to meet some new people but he didn’t want to come back, join the team and then have to be a friend of my friends, if you get my meaning. I relented. As I always seem to do. And surprise surprise, one year later and neither of us are playing

2 Comments:

Blogger jjd said...

hmm.. we parallel here again it seems. At work I've missed out on a number of "networking" opportunities because some gay coworker will ask me out and I know that Oscar flatly refuses or will be incredibly pissy if I go. We got into a huge fight when I went to a christmas party this year at an old firm I used to work at, and he showed up with daggers, night went to drama-ville.. I'm embarassed to even bring it up.

Same thing with doing new activities.. he says we'll do them.. a year later.. nothing.

I'm wishing for both of us that our partners become more secure in who they are and realize that having interest in other people doesn't mean we're no longer interested in them.

best of luck..

2:34 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello, can I use the pics of Arnold for my blog? Hugs from Italy

4:52 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hit Counter
Online Degrees